Written 11/8/09
About every other day, some women from Jaluit, Jaluit come over to Jabor, Jaluit and play softball against women here. They’re all wearing Guam dresses, which are single-piece dresses that go down to their shins and they look slightly awkward as they swing the bats and toss the ball to each other. At first, I didn’t really pay much attention to these games, even though they take place on campus, about 200 meters from my house. But recently I’ve been enjoying watching parts of them when I have the time. The ladies are really good. They make plays and clearly practice hard for these games. They’re far better than I would be. When I watch them I feel a bit like I’m watching a minor-league game. Since they play on the field in the middle of campus, there’s always a crowd watching them. Students and other community members referee the games. Even when Morgan and I are in our house, we can hear the cheers of the crowd floating across the field into our apartment when good plays are made.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment