Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pouring things into other things

Written 11/15/09

One thing I’ve noticed about my life here is that I spend a lot of time pouring things into other things. The pump for the tap is only on for a couple hours in the evenings and mornings. This means that we have a big 5 gallon cooler that sits on our counter so that we can have water when we need it during the day. When we want drinking water, we have to boil it. The typical path of a cup of water that I drink with dinner is:
From my roof into my cistern, then into the 5 gallon cooler, then into a pot on the stove to be boiled, then into a gallon jug, then into another gallon jug once it’s cooled to room temperature, then into my water bottle in the fridge, then into an actual cup to drink out of. Making ice, of course, is yet another step.

I know this doesn’t sound like all that much, but considering that I drink over a gallon a day, we have to spend a significant amount of time just pouring things into other things. So any time you grab a cup and turn on the faucet and drink the water 2 seconds later, think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment