Written 5/18/10
In the next 10 days, I have about 50 quizzes and 120 final exams to grade, a house to clean thoroughly and box up the contents of, a classroom to relocate, lists to compile for next year’s volunteers, my belongings to pack up, and all the while I have to keep all my fingers crossed that the plane will leave as scheduled. If it doesn’t, I’ll be delayed an extra week or so.
Nevertheless, I am now at the point where I can say my flight back to the states is “soon.” I’ve been in a constant state of excited, nervous, and even disbelieving anticipation. I can’t help continuing to ask no one in particular, “are we there yet?” With my departure (and thus arrival) day so uncertain, the nearest thing I can compare this to is when you ride the Dartmouth coach from Hanover to South Station, Boston. Ninety-five percent of the ride is beautiful and clear, but as you get close to the destination, you start to hit traffic. Right around the point where I-93 goes underground, you will inevitably come to at least a momentary standstill. You know the ride isn’t much longer, but exactly how much longer is tough to say. You’ve already put away the book you were reading, so you don’t really have much to distract you from wondering what the hell is making all this traffic. And all the while, you’re more excited than ever to meet whoever is waiting for you at the bus terminal.
Obviously, all I can do right now is just wait and see. And grade papers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment